Libya.. Saif al-Islam Gaddafi excluded from the presidential elections | DW Arabic news | Breaking news and perspectives from around the world | DW

Libya.. Saif al-Islam Gaddafi excluded from the presidential elections | DW Arabic news | Breaking news and perspectives from around the world | DW
Libya.. Saif al-Islam Gaddafi excluded from the presidential elections | DW Arabic news | Breaking news and perspectives from around the world | DW

The Libyan Electoral Commission said today, Wednesday (November 24, 2021), in a preliminary ruling that Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi is not eligible to run for the presidency. The commission issued a list of the full names it considers eligible to run in the elections, pending the process of appealing to the Libyan judiciary, which made the final decision in it.

This came as part of a decision issued by the Commission this evening, Wednesday, No 80 For the year 2021, the list included 73 filter out 98 A request to run for the presidency, which means the exclusion of 25 candidates.

Among those excluded from running in the decision, along with Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, was the former head of the General National Congress, Nuri Abu Sahmin, the former head of the interim government, Ali Zaidan, the former director of Gaddafi’s office, Bashir Saleh, and the former head of the Islamic Call Society, Muhammad al-Sharif.

This comes after the commission transmitted data 98 A presidential candidate for broadcast by the Attorney General’s Office, the Criminal Investigation Agency, and the General Administration of Passports and Nationality. The Commission is expected to announce the start of appeals in the coming days.

On the other hand, the commission retained the nomination of the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Aguila Saleh, the Prime Minister of the Government of National Unity, Abdel Hamid Dabaiba, the strongman in eastern Libya Khalifa Haftar, and the former Minister of Interior, Fathi Bashagha, in addition to two women who submitted their candidacy, Laila bin Khalifa and Hunaida Toumieh.

On the other hand, the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court, Karim Khan, informed the UN Security Council that he intends to visit Libya early next year, “if circumstances permit,” noting that his team has not yet been able to visit this country due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the security conditions in it.

“Early next year, if circumstances permit, I intend to go to Libya,” Khan told the 15 members of the Security Council during a meeting devoted to Libya and the International Criminal Court. “I would like to get more involved with the Libyan government as well as with other actors,” he added, stressing the need for an “open dialogue.”

Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi is wanted by the court

For a long time, the International Criminal Court has investigated crimes against humanity, war crimes, and violations against migrants committed in Libya. The court’s investigations led, in particular, to the issuance of an international arrest warrant in 2011 for Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, who was excluded from the presidential elections scheduled for December 24.

Saif al-Islam, the son of the late Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, is wanted by the court on charges of committing “crimes against humanity” in his country.

During the Security Council session, the United States and Ireland, in particular, called on the Libyan authorities to hand over those wanted to the International Criminal Court for trial before it.

Khan, who was previously the defense lawyer for Saif al-Islam Gaddafi before the International Criminal Court, confirmed before the Security Council that he would relinquish any case related to the Libyan issue and that his impartiality could be called into question, stressing that this was exactly what he did in the case of his former client, which is now exclusively handled by his deputy. He has absolutely nothing to do with it.

A.S./A.H (Reuters, AFP, DBA)

  • Libyans yearn for peace..a long road of conferences and violence

    On Wednesday (June 23, 2021), the German capital Berlin will host a new round of Libyan peace talks. Talks will focus on preparations for national elections scheduled for December 24, the withdrawal of foreign soldiers and mercenaries from Libya, and the issue of creating unified security forces. On January 19, 2020, under the auspices of the United Nations, Berlin hosted a conference on Libya, in which the two parties to the conflict participated, along with the presidents of Russia, Turkey, France and Egypt.

  • Libyans yearn for peace..a long road of conferences and violence

    In February 2011, demonstrations broke out in Benghazi and then in other regions, which were violently confronted by the regime of Muammar Gaddafi, who has ruled the country since 1969 with an iron fist. A coalition led by Washington, Paris and London launched attacks on the headquarters of Gaddafi’s forces, after obtaining a green light from the United Nations. Then the command of the operation was transferred to NATO. Gaddafi was killed on October 20 near his hometown of Sirte.

  • Libyans yearn for peace..a long road of conferences and violence

    Libya plunged into a cycle of violence and political turmoil that the National Transitional Council, which was formed in the early days of the revolution headed by Mustafa Abdel Jalil as an alternative to the regime, failed to end it. In July 2012, a parliament was elected, which took over its powers a month after the National Transitional Council. A government headed by Ali Zaidan was formed in October, but it fell after a vote of no confidence in it in March 2014.

  • Libyans yearn for peace..a long road of conferences and violence

    The US embassies were attacked in September 2012 and the French in April 2013, the first killing four Americans, including Ambassador Christopher Stevens, and the second injuring two French guards. Most foreign embassies closed their doors and their staff left the country.

  • Libyans yearn for peace..a long road of conferences and violence

    In May 2014, retired Major General Khalifa Haftar announced the start of Operation Dignity against armed Islamist groups in eastern Libya. Officers from the eastern region joined the ranks of the “Libyan National Army” formed by Haftar. In June 2014, a new parliament was elected, with a majority against the Islamists who boycotted it.

  • Libyans yearn for peace..a long road of conferences and violence

    At the end of August 2014, after weeks of bloody battles, the “Libya Dawn” coalition, which included many armed factions, including Islamist groups, took control of the capital, Tripoli, and revived the “General National Congress”, the outgoing parliament. A government was formed. There are two parliaments and two governments in Libya.

  • Libyans yearn for peace..a long road of conferences and violence

    In December 2015, after months of negotiations, representatives of civil society and Libyan parliamentarians in Skhirat, Morocco, signed an agreement under the auspices of the United Nations, and the Government of National Accord was declared. But this government has never gained the confidence of the parliament in the east, which is backed by Khalifa Haftar, and has not been able to impose its authority on the political and military forces in the country.

  • Libyans yearn for peace..a long road of conferences and violence

    In the following years, two ruling authorities in Libya competed: in the west, the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord, which is recognized by the United Nations, and a parallel authority in the east of the country led by Khalifa Haftar. Two meetings in Paris in 2017 and 2018 brought together Haftar and Al-Sarraj in an attempt to reach a settlement and hold legislative and presidential elections, but what was agreed upon was not adhered to and the war continued to grind the country.

  • Libyans yearn for peace..a long road of conferences and violence

    In early 2019, Haftar’s forces began invading the south with the support of local tribes. They took control of Sabha and Sharara, one of the country’s largest oil fields, without battles. And then it advanced towards Tripoli, where it was met with violent resistance by the forces loyal to the Government of National Accord, which launched a counterattack nearly a year later and made progress, but in June 2020, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi threatened military “intervention” in Libya in the event that the Al-Wefaq forces advanced towards Tripoli. Sirt.

  • Libyans yearn for peace..a long road of conferences and violence

    After repeatedly failing to pull Libya out of chaos, a UN-sponsored Libyan dialogue in Geneva on February 5, 2021 led to the signing of a permanent ceasefire agreement with “immediate effect”. And then it was agreed to form a presidential council and a unified government headed by Abdel Hamid Dabaiba, which won the confidence of Parliament in March. The task of the Dabaiba government is to move the country towards organizing elections. Thus, the lost hope returned for the possibility of an improvement in the situation. Prepared by: Khaled Salama

    Author: Khaled Salama

 
For Latest Updates Follow us on Google News
 

PREV Arrest of a high school student running a medical facility in Egypt
NEXT Watch: 110: 112 Dramatic for Brooklyn over the Knicks