Cyprus police have arrested another man on suspicion of involvement in an assassination attempt on Israeli businessmen in the country, local media reported today (Wednesday). The suspect, a 27-year-old man of Pakistani descent, was arrested after a raid on his apartment.
Local media reported that the raid took place after police broke into one of the phones of the main suspect, a 38-year-old Russian citizen of Azeri descent who was caught in Nicosia last month. Meanwhile, police said the arrests were being handled as a possible terror case, while the judge ordered that all hearings be held behind closed doors.
The two suspects are expected to appear in court for a hearing on extending their detention today, when prosecutors reportedly managed to convince the judge that there is enough evidence against the suspects.
“Contrary to some of the publications last night regarding the incident in Cyprus, I would like to clarify, on behalf of the security forces, that this is a terrorist incident directed by Iran against Israeli businessmen living in Cyprus,” he said. He stressed that “this is not a criminal incident, and businessman Teddy Sagi was not the target of the attack.”