Dubai, United Arab Emirates (CNN) – The Sudanese intelligence said on Friday that it had not handed over members of the terrorist cell linked to ISIS, which announced their arrest during raids on Tuesday.
In a statement on the agency’s website, the Director of Media at the General Intelligence Service said that “what was reported in the media about the recently arrested terrorist elements being handed over to any party is not true.”
The Sudanese intelligence official confirmed that “the criminals (still) are under legal proceedings.”
On Tuesday, the Sudanese General Intelligence Service announced the arrest of “11 foreign terrorists of different nationalities” without revealing their identities, while another group “consisting of 4 foreign terrorists escaped, and they are being pursued.”
The agency said, in a statement, that 5 intelligence agents were killed in an exchange of fire during security raids south of the capital, Khartoum.
News reports said that the Sudanese authorities had agreed to hand over to Egypt a number of “ISIS cell” members who had been arrested.