Friday 03 September 2021
Washington – (USA):
US President Joseph Biden on Friday signed an executive order reviewing and declassifying government documents related to the September 11, 2001 attacks, and making them public within the next six months.
The US President said – in a statement – that with this decision he fulfills one of his electoral promises, as he pledged to direct the Attorney General to “personally examine the merits of all cases” that the government considered secrets of the state and to take sides in revealing them in cases that have passed 20 years or more as it is. The case with the September 11 attacks, according to what was reported by the “Washington Post” on its website.
“When I ran for president, I made a commitment to transparency regarding the declassification of documents relating to the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on America,” he said, adding, “As we approach the 20th anniversary of that tragic day, I am living up to that commitment.
He explained that the executive order directs the Department of Justice and other relevant government agencies to oversee the review of the declassification of documents related to the FBI investigations into the September 11 attacks, and also requests the US Attorney General to release the declassified documents within the next six months.
And the “Washington Post” noted that the families of hundreds of victims of the September attacks told Biden, in a letter, last month, that he would not be welcome at events commemorating the 20th anniversary of the attacks unless he declassified some government evidence related to the attack. The newspaper pointed out that it is unclear whether Biden’s latest executive order will be satisfactory for those families.